Via UbuWeb Sound:
Bertrand Russell – ABC of Relativity: Understanding Einstein (1925)
Narrated by Sir Derek Jacobi
Runtime: 3hrs, 20mins
Ask a dozen people to name a genius and the odds are that ‘Einstein’ will spring to their lips. Ask them the meaning of ‘relativity’ and few of them will be able to tell you what it is.
The basic principles of relativity have not changed since Bertrand Russell first published his lucid guide for the general reader. The ABC of Relativity is Bertrand Russell’s most brilliant work of scientific popularisation. With marvellous lucidity he steers the reader who has no knowledge of maths or physics through the subtleties of Einstein’s thinking. In easy, assimilable steps, he explains the theories of special and general relativity and describes their practical application to, amongst much else, discoveries about gravitation and the invention of the hydrogen bomb.
‘An ideal introduction to the theories of special and general relativity.’ – Nature
01. Touch and Sight Earth and the Heavens
02. What Happens and What Is Observed
03. The Velocity of Light
04. Clocks and Foot Rules
05. Space Time
06. The Special Theory of Relativity
07. Intervals in Space Time
08. Einstein’s Theory of Gravitation
09. Proofs of Einstein’s Theory of Gravitation
10. Mass, Momentum, Energy and Action
11. The Expanding Universe
12. Conventions and Natural Laws
13. The Abolition of Force
14. What Is Matter?
15. Philosophical Consequences